Department of HEALTH PROFFESSIONS
Certificate in old age
The Certificate in Aged Care is designed to provide training to entry level
workers who want to work in residential aged care facilities, community care and
nursing homes. This course will equip students with the skills and knowledge to gain
employment within the Aged Care environment. Students who undertake
this qualification will gain the skills and knowledge necessary to provide services to
individuals with special or complex needs and work with the elderly and disabled to
lead more dignified lives.
Students will work under the supervision of Nurses or other health professionals.
The course combines both theory and practical training. Students will learn to
organize and supervise social and cultural activates, assist with administrative tasks,
provide support and assistance with residents daily routine and sort and clean
equipment. The course subjects include work effectively with older people, care plans, support
individual’s personal needs, health and well-being and personal care training.
The Certificate in Aged Care is also a great pathway into the Diploma for Nursing.
- Develop professionals for the care and welfare of the older persons.
- To provide a comprehensive and scientific knowledge base on various aspects relating to geriatric care.
- Generate skilled man power focused on intervention in the family and community settings for the welfare of the older persons.
- Orient the students on techniques/interventions for managing the care of the elderly with focus on programme development and management.
- Identify and promote support systems and networking for care of the older persons
- Aged Care Worker
- Personal Care Worker
- Assistant in Nursing
- Support Worker in Hospitals
- Respite Worker
- Community Care Worker
This is a (6) months course where students will be coming for lessons at least three times a
week for two hours. The Six months is inclusive of a related attachment in old people’s homes
and in government and private hospitals. Students will graduate after a written final examination.
This Program is also available ONLINE/DISTANCE LEARNING.
Reconition of the qualification
The Certificate In Old Age is Accredited by the Institute of Early Childhood Education and
Health professions and the Academy of Multi Skills (UK). Graduates from the programme are
accredited to open their own old people’s homes or to work as social workers in private
hospitals and homes in Zimbabwe , Africa and across the entire world .
A minimum of 8 modules are examinable. A student has options to choose which
modules to study and be examined on. Click the link on the right to download the Course outline.